Skip to main content

THE WOMEN WHO ARE THE SUPPORT TEAM FOR EMERGING PROFESSIONALS: S.T.E.P. 2022-2023

The support team for Emerging Professionals has had a very busy and enlightening biennium.

We have written articles, attended International, State and local conferences, added to our blog

and are ready for our second “Penne Party” to honor the Penne Ferrell Grant recipients. We had

successful Tuesday Teacher Talks/tips on important educational issues as well.

Thank You DKG for supporting our team's efforts.


CHRISTINA CLEMONS

I am a recovered & "non-math person"! I've been teaching Middle School math for 9 years but I

started out as an early elementary teacher so that I wouldn't have to teach, what I considered to

be, "math". After teaching 2nd grade in Florida, and through lots of twists and turns, I was

offered a teaching job in Oakland, California in January of 2015. I took over a 5/6 GATE class and

6th grade math after their teacher had left in November. I began taking as many math courses as I

could from City College of San Francisco and ended up falling in love with math. I now teach 8th

grade math along with High School Geometry and Algebra. Helping students see themselves as

math people is my life's work. Being a math person doesn't mean you have to love math, take

calculus, or win the Fields Medal. It means that you a) do math and b) are a person! I want

students to be confident in themselves and in their ability to problem solve, take risks, make

mistakes, and use those mistakes to refine their skills. I remind students that, contrary to popular

belief, math wasn't invented by math teachers to torture students nor was the world created with

textbooks already printed and ready for humans to consume- it has an incredible history of

curious thinkers discovering ways to problem solve various challenges and questions that arose

throughout humanity, beautiful patterns, and is absolutely relevant.


Math is for everyone. "Mathematics knows no races or geographic boundaries; for mathematics,

the cultural world is one country." - David Hilbert


KRIS DAMON

I have been a part of two committees as part of the DKG California Leadership Team. One of the

best parts of serving as part of the leadership team in DKG California is the diversity of women.

We come from different parts of California, have taught at varied levels, and have many skin

colors, ages, cultures, passions, talents, working styles, and personalities. We are all Key Women

Educators. Being part of this team has enhanced my collaboration skills, improved my patience,

exposed me to new thinking, and made me stretch as a leader. 

I have taught at the elementary level for over 30 years. I serve the Long Beach Unified School

District stakeholders as Assistant Director of Early Childhood and Expanded Learning

Opportunities in the Office of the Assistant Superintendent of Early Learning and Elementary

Schools. My current work is focused on California's Universal Prekindergarten, transitional

kindergarten, and alignment of birth-third programs in LBUSD.

At home, I am a wife of 27 years, mom to two young women (one a future educator), dog mom to

two rescues, and lover of coffee and PJs on the weekend.

I hope my personal woman's history will be one of kindness, compassion, encouragement, and

empowerment of diverse women educators.


GLORIA BROWN BROOKS


I am a wife, a mother and a grandmother. My loves besides my family are reading, teaching and

mathematics.

I am a member of Zeta Epsilon in Region 5. I enjoy being part of the many activities and the

interactions between members. I love being on the Delta Kappa Gamma state STEP committee.

Having been a member of the Support team for Emerging Professionals (STEP) has helped me to

grow within the organization. For four years we have been a strong presence and will continue to

be such. The camaraderie among both the past and present STEP groups has continued to be

powerful.

Going to the State and International DKG conventions has given me insight into what works with

other chapters and how they are moving forward.

Having been a Civil Rights, Social Justice and Quality Education warrior for over 35 years, I was

moved by the recent YOU TUBE from our International president to support Diversity, Equity and

Inclusion (DEI). Our present state president has also made DEI a priority.

I ran a Math Teachers Circle, I am on two boards and I am the treasurer in Zeta Epsilon.


Midge Seigfried

After retiring as a Middle School Math and Special Ed teacher from Alum Rock School District, I

began mentoring new teachers who were clearing their credentials through Induction. Soon after,

I was introduced to DKG by a fellow mentor. I joined the Gamma Psi Chapter in Area IV.


Since then, I have re-acquainted myself with many Santa Clara County woman leaders in

education. Eventually, I became Membership Chair and Co- President with Toni Cook, our state

President. Gamma Psi proved to be an excellent resource for my mentees. In turn many have

shared their new strategies with our veteran and retired sisters.

Not long ago, Toni Cook asked me if I would be interested in joining the STEP Committee.

Working/sharing with Gloria, Kris and Christina has been a wonderful experience! I have grown as

an educator and as a person. These ladies are SO knowledgeable and supportive! It is a pleasure

to meet with them. I was excited to read about our new generation of educators while reading the

Penne Ferrell applications.

At home, I am a widow of 13 years. I have 2 daughters, one of whom is a High School Athletic

Director, and one son. All three are busy with their own activities and are delighted that I have

such a resourceful group of Friends and Sisters.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Resources For Teaching For Racial Justice

We are all watching the demonstrations happening right now in response to the many years of discrimination and oppression of people of color and wondering what we can do as educators to help ensure that our society does better moving forward. As educators we have the power and the ability to be part of the solution. There are many resources available that can help guide us on that journey. We hope that the books,websites and resources below will empower you to help make the change that is needed right now.  We must also acknowledge that every teacher comes to issues of race differently based on their own experiences and identity/ies. White educators have a special responsibility to increase their own understanding and to listen when they are fortunate enough to hear about the experiences of their colleagues of color. However, we must ensure that the burden of informing others about the history and experience of racism does not rest on the shoulders of our colleagues and fr

Social Justice Presentations 2

The DKG California STEP committee has created 3 more social justice presentations for your enjoyment, reflection and personal/professional development. These presentations can be used by individuals or groups or even for chapter programs.  Please read the following descriptions to learn what each presentation has to offer: How To Be an Antiracist Ally View this presentation to learn what you can do to be an antiracist ally. Are you unsure about what is entailed with being an antiracist and/or ally? This presentation will help to clarify the terms as well as give you ideas of actions you can take.  Racism This presentation answers the question: What is racism? It also explains how race is a socially constructed concept rather than biological fact. It encourages you to consider the role of race and racism in your life.  Teaching With the Social Justice Standards This presentation provides information about what the social justice standards are and where you can find them in addition to o